Friday, March 24, 2023

Thrifting & Weight Loss

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy a considerable weight loss over the past seven years, going from a high of 270+ (hard to know my true highest weight since I avoided weighing myself) to my current weight of 156 pounds. The benefits to my health include a dramatic reduction in my sleep apnea, a reduction of my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar level.

Of course as I lost weight my clothes were so big that they not only didn't look good on me, but they masked a lot of the progress that I'd made. I guess it was better than when I gained weight and I literally could not fit into shirts and pants, but they still needed replacements.

Buying new clothes multiple times as I moved from morbidly obese to obese to overweight to normal wasn't cheap. I even shopped at discount department stores such as Walmart, but it was still expensive.

It wasn't recently that I finally started going to thrift stores to buy "my new" clothes. I've picked up dress shirts for $3.50, kaki's for $4 and even suit jackets for as little as $8. I can pick up outfits at a fraction of the price of new, so I don't feel at all bad about buying clothes that I might only be able to wear for a few months if I continue to lose weight. Is the suit jacket as nice as some of the ones that I could get new? Absolutely not. I don't wear a jacket that often and it looks a lot better than my old ones that fit me 40-50 pounds ago.

Of course the selection is obviously more limited in a thrift store and it is more time consuming to shop as sizes are usually intermixed. I used to have a pretty negative association with thrift shops, and while there are clothes with stains and damage, there are a lot that are perfectly serviceable. If you are someone interested in always having the latest fashion then it probably isn't the best option.

submitted by /u/lifeofhard8s
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/NyeGEpr

No comments:

Post a Comment