Monday, September 17, 2018

11 years post-RNY & having serious surgery on Tuesday, but NO REGRETS. AMA if ya want.

So long ago...

When I was 22 in college, my parents gave me a lovely choice: "Lap-Band, or RNY Gastric Bypass?" I was over 18 but still mentally under their control. 6 months later, underwent bypass. I can confidently say that if I'd died on that operating table, I would have not cared at all.

It's been ELEVEN years, I lost 130 lbs, gained 40, lost 10, lost whatever ... now I'm essentially -110. (That last 20 lbs was a lovely 10 minutes, lol. My body was NOT having that!)

I've followed the "rules" I eat well and healthfully. I'm not happy because I lost weight - I'm happy because of the therapy, the specialized trauma therapy, the friends, and sure as fuck not my parents. Life turned out well.

On Tuesday, I have a new surgery. My very first complication, and likely my last, please.

Backstory: Started vomiting up most of my food intake for several months. Didn't see doctor because I figured it was my fault (hi, Mom!) and eventually vomiting water ... I saw the doc. I didn't have reflux before, but now I did, hardcore.

Surgery: My RNY is being 'converted' to a sleeve, with continued bypass (because we already did that part!) We're removing 50% of my stomach, fixing a hernia, and rerouting a piece of esophagus so that my bile doesn't come in contact with my food immediately, hence no vomiting.

Well, Reddit peeps. I'm scared. I know I'll be fine in the end, I have a great doctor, wonderful support groups of friends and better family, and protein shakes have a come a long way since 2007.

The point of this is ... I still have no regrets. I know there's people who think weight loss surgery is an easy fix (lol) and such. But I couldn't be happier, even with what happens next week. I will be alive, I might lose a few more pounds, and I'm hoping to be able to eat a single BITE of prime rib during the holidays.

submitted by /u/FreudAndOz
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xjmMKF

No comments:

Post a Comment