Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Fat shamed for the first time ever

Yesterday I had a quick trip to another city for work via plane and boarded my flight home around 10pm. The plane was pretty empty but it quickly looked like I was going to have someone sitting next to me. We met eyes and he immediately rolled them, looked so disappointed, and said "I hope some seats are open so I actually have space to sit". Now, I've been overweight most of my adult life, dieting, working out, but mostly yoyoing. I fit into a normal airplane seat, snuggly albeit, but I don't need any special accommodations. This is the first time anyone has ever said ANYTHING to me like that, let alone to my face and it really broke my heart. I cried when he asked for a seat change and cried after I got home to my fiance, who did his best to comfort me. However, all that being said, I feel like maybe someone telling me I'm fat is what I needed to light a fire in me.

People have always been polite and told me I'm curvy, hold my weight well, every excuse in the book to defend how my size is okay. I've always had a sense of shame about my weight (which is another problem altogether) but I think that rude man sort of put something people never say to me into the limelight, which can be hard to deal with. I NEVER think shaming someone about their size is okay and I've always tried to be confident and accepting of my own body, but ultimately, it's something I want to change and weirdly I think that one asshole managed to shake me out of my head about losing the weight.

Full dislaimer: I think all bodies are great, but this is about my own and my desire to change but lack of drive to do so. I don't recommend fat shaming as a way to encourage weight loss but, the curtness of this particular individual does seem to have had a profound impact on how I'm dealing with my particular situation.

submitted by /u/bizarregospel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Q703IN

No comments:

Post a Comment