Tuesday, September 25, 2018

PSA: For the love of all things, stretch properly when you exercise.

So a couple months back, I injured myself in what can only be described as a freak IKEA furniture building accident, or so I thought...

I figured, yeah, I'm 39. It's about time for my body to start betraying me in completely inconvenient ways. My dad always had back problems, so why not me. I had to stop going to the gym, had days where I just sat with a heating pad for hours, figured "This is my life now. I'm just another old broken dude who thinks I can still do things." Luckily my metabolism decided to not give up on me, so my lack of exercise+sad time eating only gained me about 5 lbs over this time.

A friend of mine suggested I go see a chiropractor to see if it was something that could be fixed, so I did. That man did terrible things to me... Wonderful, but terrible. I heard sounds that would make my mother cry, felt pops and cracks, had my arms pulled in directions I didn't think they went, and was never more aware of my spine in my life.

The reason I bring all of this up in a weight loss sub was the muscle tension though. All of the weight lifting I started doing, accompanied by not stretching enough, caused my muscles to tense up so much that they started pushing bones out of place. I thought I was stretching enough, but I only did it before and after the workout. What he suggested was stretching after every set.

Now I know some of you may be thinking "No kidding, dummy.", and you're right, mistakes were made. But if I did it wrong, after all of the research, and after all the years of my life being pretty athletic, I am sure others did too. So to those of you who may have aches and pains you can't explain, make sure you are stretching, and maintaining a proper form while you lift. Otherwise you too can fall victim to IKEA.

submitted by /u/bizarrogreg
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xBZYpB

No comments:

Post a Comment