Friday, September 14, 2018

Seeking advice for weight maintenance as a lifestyle

Hi all, I'm a 20 year old college student. Recently, I hit 200 lbs and I have always told myself that if I reach that point, I'm making immediate changes. I'm a guy that's about 5'10" and I really want to lose weight. I'm not sure what my target would be, I would think around 160 lbs, but that is just going off of a BMI chart, not BF%.

Here's my problem:

I know that exercise can be a great tool in weight loss, my problem is that when I'm in my 70s, I don't know if my body will be able to do more than light exercise (i.e. walking or swimming). Right now, I want to lose weight by diet alone, not to short myself, but so I can develop healthy eating habits when I'm older and unable to exercise as heavily. What I'm trying to say, is that I would much rather lose or maintain weight by my eating habits.

I've done this for several years as I've been hovering around 190 lbs. I've been able to realize a few issues as far as my diet goes.

  1. Every time I try to cut out sweets or eat less of them, I always get the most intense sugar cravings. It's not fruit, ice cream, or sugar in general, it is pretty much only chocolate that I end up craving.
  2. I didn't grow up on healthy home cooking, so I don't know what to make. It was boxed mac and cheese, cheap spaghetti, etc. I know it can be straightforward - a protein, greens, fruits, and grains. I can't create these types of dishes though and the healthy recipes I look up don't have these combinations. I also have a hard time doing something like salad. I've tried many different types of salad, but I simply don't enjoy them which makes it hard to feel not hungry. I can stuff myself on a salad, but if I see a burger or something, I will have plenty room available.
  3. I'm a really picky eater.
  4. Portion control is hard for me. I don't realize proper amounts. I fail at calorie counting because a lot of the things I eat don't have clear cut calorie amounts.
  5. When I cut back, I cut back too much or not enough.
  6. I'm a social eater. If my friend wants to go out to eat, that's the only time I can go out somewhere with him, so I go.

I just feel weak. People seem to do this so easily, but I'm falling off the wagon so much. It's not just about my weight, all of my concern has more to do with me eating healthy. I want to be healthy and I figure the weight will follow. I don't like the look of myself and I don't like that I don't understand and don't enjoy what a healthy meal should be.

I feel lost. I feel expended. I've checked sites like budgetbytes and healthy recipes in general and it's hard for me to find one without it breaking the bank. I've shopped thrifty, but I end up with not enough food. One good recipe I find will cost me at least $20 to make. Budgetbytes might say it costs $10, but it's always more than that for me.

I'm just begging for help.

submitted by /u/-cickes-
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xfSE1V

No comments:

Post a Comment