Monday, June 24, 2019

I've lost so little, yet already gained so much!

Started going to gym and watching what I put into my mouth 6 weeks ago. Truth be told, the results on the scale are very minimal. I can't even claim to have lost 10 lbs. More like half of that. And yet I feel absolutely elated because my clothes fit me SO MUCH BETTER and I feel like a sexy goddess because of it.

I have a natural hourglass figure that that allows me to project the illusion of "slim and sexy" even overweight if I wear the right clothes, so I was in denial for a long time. The alarm bells first started ringing when I realized that 90% of the clothes in shops no longer fit me. No problem-I just had to go to plus sizes. But even those didn't fit because they were too loose, and loose clothes not only KILL the hourglass shape, they make me look pregnant. In the end I had to search far and wide and constrain myself to a couple of retailers to find clothes that were just the right amount of loose/tight.

Then one day I saw a photo of myself on FaceBook and realized to my horror that the hourglass shape I had been proud of was no more. No amount of clothes buying or coordination could magically give me the illusion of a slim waistline, because I no longer had a visible waistline to speak of.

That kickstarted my weight loss journey, and while I'm bummed that I'm not losing as fast as I would like, my wardrobe is another matter. I must have won the jackpot because while I haven't lost a significant amount, I've lost it in all the right places: my tummy, my arms, my butt. My XL (sometimes L) clothes fit just right and most of all, I've got my hourglass figure back! Turns out that there was nothing inherently wrong with the loose clothes that made me look pregnant--I just looked fatter in them because I was indeed fat. I'm no longer blaming clothes ever again.

If it were just for vanity reasons I'd be tempted to stop right now. I'm still 40 lbs overweight but I've been fat most of my life and pretty comfortable with who I am. However, I'm short and Asian and we have a tendency to develop diseases at lower BMIs. Even 23 isn't safe, so I'm aiming for a BMI of 21, something I haven't achieved ever. I was already insulin-resistant even at a lower weight. Maybe it's weird but in a way I'm jealous of people who can reach 300-400 lbs and have no lasting health problems after losing weight. I would probably keel over and die even before I reach 300 (because of shitty genetics). I'm guessing it's why there are fewer Asians in general who are morbidly obese. We die off before we get to that stage.

Oops, sorry that went a tangent. While I'm happy that I can be fashionable again, I'm just really bummed that genetics obliges me to move the goalposts that much higher. Even a "normal" BMI wouldn't guarantee health. I have to be at a really healthy weight if I want to live the rest of my life without maintenance meds.

submitted by /u/cassis-oolong
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Fuacw9

No comments:

Post a Comment