Monday, June 24, 2019

Learning that losing weight isn't a matter of chance or luck

Sure, the title sounds obvious, but growing up I was taught the opposite. My parents are overweight/obese and have always struggled with their weight for as long as I can remember. I became witness to many failed diets they adopted in attempts to shed their unwanted weight. These diets certainly weren't sensible and sustainable like the CICO method that I am utilizing right now, but rather diets like, ”the cabbage soup diet”, “the only fruit diet”, “the only juice diet”, etc. Obviously, all these diets they attempted proved to be a waste of time. After these failed diets they would tell me how “they just haven't found the secret yet”, and that there must be something wrong with their genes for them to not lose weight naturally and consistently. They would also remark on how lucky those who successfully lost weight were, rather than acknowledging the healthy lifestyle they incorporated instead. I had these warped ideas of “bad genes” and “bad diets that may or may not work” ingrained in my head for the longest time. I had taken up a plethora of fad diets that ultimately ended in binges after I discovered they were not sustainable for longer than I’d like to admit (who seriously wants to eat only watery cabbage soup for the rest of their lives?). I am so glad that I found this sub and was able to learn that the big secret to weight loss wasn't really a secret, but rather a method that seems so obvious that I feel incredibly stupid for not realizing it sooner: counting calories. Not only is counting calories actually sustainable in the long run, but it eliminates the chance for others to call its results a matter of “luck”, simply because it DOES and WILL work if you actually follow it! It’s amazing to know that I definitely WILL lose weight just by counting calories and making sure that I am in a deficient. CICO has helped me go from 210 lbs to 183 lbs in about 2.5ish months. (Still a long journey to go, but still progress). I am looking forward to losing even more so I can finally be in a healthy BMI. Additionally, I’m even more stoked that I am adopting this method because I plan on surprising my family with my weight loss when I see them again around thanksgiving. I know I probably will still have plenty of pounds to lose when I see them in November, but I know it will still be an exciting change since I was over 200 lbs when they last saw me. Part of me almost wants to dismiss this goal in case it doesn't happen, but I know and am confident that it will because CICO isn't a matter of “if”, but rather a matter of “when”.

submitted by /u/FriedRiceEnthusiasts
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2x8azrO

No comments:

Post a Comment