Monday, June 24, 2019

Changing my mindset might change my life...

I have been overweight all my life. I have tried different diets and gyms; tried the Keto, tried intermittent fasting, all sorts of sports..anything you can think of, you name it. Everybody around me has been constantly telling me to lose weight since I was about 10. I always tried, always failed. Food always tasted too good, or I stopped caring, or I was too “busy” to follow through with exercise.

I realized that there is a struggle within me of the two ideas we are bombarded with: “being who you are is beautiful, no matter the shape or size” and “being overweight is not okay because it is not healthy”. Me giving up so fast on my weight loss journey was a struggle between these two forces. I often used the fact that I thought I was beautiful the way I was and that “society can’t change me” to justify my binge eating and unhealthy coping mechanisms.

After a one year reflection about my situation, looking at pictures of me being taken on graduation from college especially, I decided I really didn’t like the person in the mirror. For the first time, it became a huge source of anxiety for me. I decided I had to change..something in order for the trying to work. I had to change how I thought about my weight.

  • My weight is not a weapon, not a political statement, not a form of rebellion. My weight is mine, and I have given outside sources so much power to comment on it and have influence over it. If I will lose weight, I will do it for me, I will do it do be healthy and love the way I look in a cute dress. To stop the discomfort and anxiety.*

I joined this subreddit amidst that reflection, and all the weight loss journeys inspired me a great deal, and further helped me change my mindset and take accountability for the way I look.

I have downloaded the lose it app 5 days ago and am watching what I’m eating. I’m also exercising when I can, the way I can, for myself.

I don’t know whether I will lose the spark of motivation of right now down the road, but I’m counting on this sub to be there for me and hold me accountable when is needed.

Thanks for listening to my story and I wish you good luck in all your journeys 💙

submitted by /u/accessthemess
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2LdAS8e

No comments:

Post a Comment