Friday, August 2, 2019

3 years of maintenance! (441 to 180 update w/ photos)

Hi, LoseIt! Wow, it has been a while. I've posted a few times in the past and received so much support from this incredible community. The few of you that I have spoken with on a regular basis have been my rock in my weak moments. I always like to begin my posts with a THANK YOU to this community. Wonderful, wonderful individuals.

This is a post to add to my on-going journey as we float in maintenance land. I began my weight loss adventure on June 15th, 2016. I began at 441 lbs. and was suffering through the misery of my binge eating disorder that was WAY out of control. Long story short, I was a opiate addict in my early 20s. When I lost everything and gave it up, I replaced it with food. Boom. I didn't even realize how quickly I had developed the binge eating disorder to cover up the underlying depression and anxiety. Therapy is not always necessary for everyone but my god do I ever recommend it. I owe my life to my therapist that kept me on tracks.

My primary diet that I followed was a keto based diet. I did not start out super low carb, but I worked my way down through the first few months. From 441 to 350, I kept my daily carb intake under 100. After that I stepped it down to 70. Once I hit the mid 200s I went full blast keto. The stank breath and all. I burned fat so fast I ended up losing the good ol' gallbladder in the process, but ever since then I've been healthier than ever. Blood work and all. Physically, at least. I was on 2 blood pressure medications and an acid-reflux medication. Borderline diabetic. Borderline stroke level blood pressure readings at times. None of that is an issue now. The human body is incredible. It really wants you to live.

Exercise basically consisted of cardio for 2 years. I never truly incorporated any weight-lifting into my workouts. I found yoga and other exercises that use your own body's resistance to become stronger. I'm also a very naturally anxious person, so yoga is calming and beneficial on many levels. Walks outside were preferred, but I did invest in a treadmill and used the hell out of it for a long time. I figured if I could sit on my couch and watch TV, I could walk and watch TV, too.

Mentally, I am still on the struggle bus with the whole "coping with extra skin" and "trying to see the new me in the mirror instead of the old me and being so self critical" part. It truly is a lot more difficult to overcome these obstacles than I ever anticipated. That being said, I try to be sure to not discount my accomplishments because I'm a skin flapping human. My extra skin doesn't define me and my stretch marks have all become white "beauty marks." Again, one of those things I tell myself to try and stay positive about it since skin removal surgery is not really an option for me.

ANYWHO, I thought I'd drop a good ol' update here. I pretty much live off of a normal CICO diet at this point to maintain. Keto was great for the fat burn but it was definitely not a lifelong thing that I intended to stick with. Ya boy loves a muffin way too much to give it up for the long haul. Maintenance is such an odd experience. That 10 lbs of fluctuation up and down every so often can really get to you if you let it. Being at a normal body weight for the first time in my entire life, I've never experienced it prior to the past year, but it does get easier with time. You find the little ways to indulge and enjoy things. It's all a balance. Yes, I can have this croissant for breakfast, but I don't get my dark chocolate at night as a snack. ALL things in balanced moderation. And a lot of willpower. I'd say that's the strongest muscle I have developed over time. Once you say no to things you want to say yes to over and over, you no longer struggle to say no. You just get it. I wish there was a better way to explain that part. Here is a quick little 5 photo album of my oldest body photo, my first selfie, and the updated me. Trust and believe when I say the extra skin is all over the place, it's just very well hidden. A bit uncomfortable at times, but hidden nonetheless. One day I'll stop caring so much about what I look like and focus more on how I feel.

Album link~ https://imgur.com/a/1T8mjis

Thanks again to everyone along the way for the support and giving me a place to find people who understood me when no one else in my life did. I love this place. I don't do these updates as often for myself anymore as I do for others. I am admittedly a very lazy guy. I mean, I'll clean the house, but I am LAZY. I love the couch. With my entire soul. If I can drop 260 lbs, you can, too. Anyone can do this. If there's anyone out there thinking that the struggle seems like it's too much effort or the goal is too far off in the distance, I'm here to tell you that you are good enough and it only takes a spark to create a fire. Please don't discount yourself because of where you currently are. Look at where you want to be and make it happen. No excuses. Willpower, a minimum of 30 minutes of walking a day, and a supportive group of friends can change your life.

submitted by /u/execrated
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YEqGZi

No comments:

Post a Comment