Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Athletes and Weight Loss: When is it detrimental to lose any more weight?

Hi folks! Male, 6’2”, 35, SW: 210, CW: 165, GW: ??? I’ve had a lousy relationship with food for most of my adult life. I have a pretty obsessive personality, so I’d typically work out like crazy during the spring and summer months, then get depressed during the long winters and eat myself into a rut. Pretty much every year for the last decade or so I’d swing from around 175 up to 220 every six months.

A few years back I decided to give running a try, and I fell in love. I made it a goal to run a marathon, and eventually I did. I’ve run a few races since then, and really think I owe any semblance of mental health to the goal-focused process of training for these marathons.

So this year, I decided to really focus on the CICO model to get in the best shape I could for an upcoming marathon, and I’ve dropped a little over 40 pounds since March. My run times are faster, my legs feel better, it’s been great. The ultimate question is- how much weight loss is too much for athletes? Is there some kind of formula to determine when it is no longer beneficial to be any lighter and you start to diminish your returns?

I feel like I could keep shedding pounds if I wanted to; my calorie budget is still totally achievable, and I could still cut back a bit without being too uncomfortable. At what point am I hurting my performance more than helping? How do you figure such a thing out other than trial and error?

submitted by /u/zandyboy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YExnPt

No comments:

Post a Comment