Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Realizing my family is overweight is motivating me to do better

For context, I've (25F) been overweight since middle school. I was about 5'0" and 145. In high school I grew to 5'4" and some change, but I also got up to about 150-160 pounds. I knew nothing about proper nutrition and counting calories, and my mom was (and still is) an amazing cook who loved to make things like stroganoff, pasta, steak, and all sorts of rich food.

I learned about nutrition and walked about a mile and change to school every day. I decided to join the Navy and my parents signed us all up for some fitness classes that we were okay about attending. I got back down to 145 at 5'4" which isn't awful but it could be better.

I've been in the military for 7 years now and initially I managed to keep to 145-155, but in more recent years I've been stressed out, significantly less active, and drinking a fair amount of alcohol. I'll manage to lose 5-10lbs here and there but I've steadily climbed my way up to 180, when my previous "never again" weight was 175.

My boyfriend is incredibly supportive and loves me how I am but I'm very hard on myself. My self esteem isn't great and my fitness is pretty awful - I always struggle a little bit when it comes time to do our biannual fitness tests. I try to stick with counting calories and intermittent fasting but to be honest I've just got piss poor discipline.

Getting back around to the point of the post, though, I recently saw a couple of photos of my older brother and my cousin who's a few months younger than me. They don't look terrible, but it's pretty clear that they've gained a lot of weight too. I've always been the "put together" kid of my generation of the family - better grades in school, more stable career, moved out of my parents' place and stayed moved out, so on. And it just hit me like a truck that I don't want to be that "fat family," and I want to keep being the put together kid. I want to change and I want to do better.

Maybe it's not the right attitude to view it in a competitive sense, but it's given me fresh motivation to do better and to stick with my weight loss, rather than managing a good day or two and then promptly treating myself to way more calories than I abstained from.

submitted by /u/riotzombie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2M3RZKN

No comments:

Post a Comment