Monday, August 5, 2019

Hey mods -- advice or rule or FAQ on emotional health issues?

Like in other advice / self-improvement related subreddits, I often see posts here that cite depression or other emotional health issues. Sometimes it's mentioned as a reason or excuse for weight problems or lack of weight loss success. Other times, it's not mentioned explicitly yet it's obvious that a person's weight and self-image issues are wrapped up in a high degree of hostility/despair/self-hate/whatever.

We (everybody, everywhere) tend to do a poor job of supporting people who need help in that area. And since /r/loseit members seem to do a great job of trying to help each other with weight loss, I'm curious what the community and the mods think about how to best address the needs of people whose weight loss situation also has emotional health factors. Should there be something in the FAQ for this? I think so.

I sometimes respond to people with something along the lines of "please consult your doctor/counselor/therapist so that they can help get you into a happy and healthy state", because I think it's risky for John Q Public to be offering unqualified advice to somebody who is vulnerable. I hope this doesn't come off as defeatist or obstructionist or condescending like "oh, you can't have or deserve weight loss because of your depression", but I do expect (and correct me if I'm wrong) that successful weight loss is a lot more difficult when you're not in a positive state of mind.

...thoughts?

submitted by /u/7sins-sloth
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YpUlKF

No comments:

Post a Comment