Tuesday, August 6, 2019

My Random, All Over the Place Weight Loss Journey

I've been a lurker on this sub for about 6 months and decided to share my story.

I’m 21 years old and started packing on the pounds around the beginning of high school, and hit 200 lbs by junior year.

About 10 months after graduation I tried to lose weight and ended up losing 12 pounds, but then my car broke down and I completely stopped trying.

Then I ended up getting a place with my sister, who was also obese. Not a good combination, but at the time I didn't realize that. We would get fast food late at night, sometimes even in the middle of the night. I ate like absolute garbage, but it never really bothered me. For some odd reason, I had it in my head that I was fat and that I wasn't ever going to lose weight, so I never tried. Of course, I hated being fat, but never really connected that “hey if I stop what I’m doing and change my ways I won't be fat anymore”. I simply accepted being fat and thought I would be for life.

After about 7 months of living with my sister, I had reached 238 lbs, and she reached 260 lbs.

In December 2017 my other sister, who is the polar opposite of Rachel and I, had bought a house and had an extra room I was able to rent. Living with Rachel posed more issues than just weight gain, so I was thrilled to be moving into a better environment.
At the time when I moved in, I didn't really know how much I weighed, as I didn't enjoy stepping on the scale, but I would guess 235-245 lbs.

I got a job in childcare shortly after moving in with my other sister, which requires you to be on your feet a lot. By June of 2018, I was down to 225 lbs. I think I can thank my extremely busy schedule for that, as I was a full-time student and worked part-time.

By December 2018 I was down to about 210 lbs.
I feel my weight loss journey didn't truly start until April 2019. I was about 207 lbs and decided “hmmm maybe if I actually tried to lose weight I could”. I dug up some old pictures and did a side by side and was so surprised by the difference, it was enough motivation to get me started.

So I joined a gym and began calorie counting, and was steadily losing about 2lbs a week. I ended up phasing out the gym and am still losing about 2lbs a week. I started intermittent fasting at the beginning of July. I tried keto but I love fruit way too much, and really didn't like having restrictions on what I eat.
I’m currently at 178 pounds, on my way to a healthy weight and I couldn't be happier about how far I’ve come.

I can't say that it has been difficult for me, because it hasn't. I'm not really sure why that is, it's almost as if a switch was flipped in me.

In the fall I'm going to be doing a quarter of school abroad and am very worried about counting my calories as efficiently. I feel like I won't be able to lose weight while there and sometimes I even wish I wasn't going, just so I can stay on track with my weight loss.

Also thanks for reading this far

submitted by /u/jessburchy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OFIQKx

No comments:

Post a Comment