Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Working through CPTSD made me realize something about failed weight loss attempts

My mom was medicated at a functional level for paranoid schizophrenia my whole life. Growing up, she would complain that these miracle drugs that kept chaos out of our home made her fat. As a chubby little kid, I wondered, “Who cares?! You’re alive and you’re in control! Isn’t that worth 15 extra pounds?” Not to her! Thanks to her vanity (and the obligatory: the patriarchy, the media, etc), my father and I were subjected to episodes where she would go off the deep end and have to be hospitalized. Only to be discharged on a stronger dose of the fattening drugs than she began with. Rinse, repeat.

I think those incidents really made an impression on me regarding the evil of vanity. Unfortunately, I took that idea too far and never made space to have concern for my own health, never-mind my looks. I’ve been obese for at least 16 years.

Can anyone relate to this?

submitted by /u/throwaway0993746
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/301R7tG

No comments:

Post a Comment