Friday, October 4, 2019

Second guessing my weightloss

Over the last 7 months, I’ve lost 65lbs by counting my calories and trying to be active a few times a week - but the majority of the work has been through controlling what I eat.

Here are my stats: 36 F | 5’8 | HW: 226 | SW: 218 | CW: 152 | GW: 140-ish

My first goal was 160lbs, which didn’t thrill me as much as I thought it would when I got there, so I changed my goal to 140lbs OR when I feel I have reached the weight I want to stay at.

According to a TDEE calculator, I am a normal weight now and my cutting calories are 1215 currently. I’m eating 1250-1350 most days - and I give myself around 1500 cals when I’ve been moderately active, if I feel I need to. Several days a month end up being “cheat days.” I try to limit those to special occasions like birthdays and such. My weight bounces up and down and the loss has not been linear at all, but overall has been a downward slope.

I thought I was doing really well. I have been very dedicated and I was feeling proud of my progress...until my most recent therapy appointment.

My issues being addressed in therapy are depression and anxiety...but I’ve mentioned that I used to have self-diagnosed OCD (not that it ever went away, but I squashed it quite a bit).

I’ve had some panic attacks recently and my therapist asked me about my weight loss for the first time since I’ve been seeing her (roughly the same amount of time that I’ve been counting calories). I told her I was doing things in a healthy way, and she said that 1200 calories is starvation and that medical professionals don’t usually restrict calories to lower than 1500 calories. She’s especially concerned that I could be on my way to developing an eating disorder since I have the OCD tendencies.

I joined a gym recently so I could start building muscle and also start moving towards maintenance since I’m getting close.

But now I’m questioning what I’m doing. Are these tdee calculators wrong? Am I cutting my calories too severely??

I like and trust my therapist, but through all my research I have never once seen that 1200 calories is dangerous for my height. I mean, sometimes it feels like starvation but I’m mostly used to feeling hungry after 7 months of this- but when I’m actually very hungry, I eat more. I don’t faint or anything because I’m too stubborn to listen to my body.

I’m just second guessing everything I’ve been doing. She suggested that I should see a dietician, which I’m totally willing to do. The only thing is that time is already a precious commodity for me and I THINK I’m not doing anything unhealthy....so I’m torn on taking the advice.

Any advice or words of wisdom from you lovely people who live this r/loseit life?? Anyone else been in this predicament??

submitted by /u/hollapainyobidness
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/335e2VU

No comments:

Post a Comment