Tuesday, April 20, 2021

ADHD, binging and weight loss?

I was recently put on medication to treat ADHD. My doctor mentioned that up to 40% of women with ADHD (especially inattentive type) meet the requirements for binge eating disorder. Apparently the low dopamine levels in our brains make us crave high carb, high sugar, high fat foods, often.

I've struggled with weight cycling for my entire life, with the exception of when I went on an antidepressant that is used off label to treat mild ADHD. I lost 30lbs without trying. I know that I emotional eat, but I think my undiagnosed ADHD was a big factor in my weight issues.

Before I started this medication I focused on building a consistent exercise regimen, and I am continuing that. I haven't started a diet whatsoever, I eat whatever I want right now, but I'm not binging.

Has anyone had this experience before or can speak to losing weight while having ADHD? It's like the disorder is custom made to fail at healthy diet and exercise plans and it makes me feel so poorly about myself. I'm concerned that if I decide to come off this medication, I'll end up gaining all the weight I'm losing and falling out of the lifestyle changes I'm making.

submitted by /u/BluestEye
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3sC7N8C

No comments:

Post a Comment