Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Assignment: Write your "Success Story" to now, in 250 words (with my answer)

Background:

My IRL support group's (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) members had the assignment to write our journey's success stories. We can start from anywhere, to the present. The idea was for us to self-recognize how we're doing.

It was pleasant work and helped me to recall some things. This is what I'm turning in:

My Success Story

I've been overweight since puberty. Numerous attempts to lose weight failed. “Their fault, not mine. I've got fat genes,” I concluded.

In 2014, my diabetes was getting harder to control and managing travel with insulin shots and pills was difficult. Too little medication would keep my blood sugar high and do long-term damage. Too much medication would result in low sugars and cause confusion and blacking out. These meds were maxxed out. I was referred for gastric bypass surgery.

As homework, my would-be surgeon recommended a 3-week program that included tracking my food and walking. This worked very well. I was down 19 pounds and I was stoked! The homework was over, but I continued to log food and walk.

Two weeks later, I felt hot, confused, weak, and somewhat sick. I began to have low blood sugars, as if I was taking too much medication. Five weeks of weight loss from walking and food logging had improved my glucose situation. Soon, my doctor dropped all my insulin and pills. It was at this point that I decided that I was going to pause the surgery and commit to continuing my program for a year.

To support me on the journey, I joined TOPS. It helped cement the idea that these changes that I am making aren’t a temporary diet but a lifetime of habits towards reaching and maintaining a healthy weight with a healthy lifestyle. I’ve lost the diabetes and the weight and kept both away for 7 years.

7 yrs. maintaining ♂59 5'11/179㎝ SW:298℔/135㎏ CW:171℔/78㎏ [3Y AMA], [1Y recap] CICO+πŸšΆπŸ‹️

Added: Journey pics: http://imgur.com/a/cPA6J

submitted by /u/funchords
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/T1bhoLq

No comments:

Post a Comment