Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Metformin Miracle?

I’ve spent the last 10 years since graduating college consistently gaining weight. I played sports in college and while I’ve never been thin, I was absolutely in shape and felt great. Since graduating in 2012, I quit smoking, got married, had two babies, and went from 160 lbs to 240 lbs.

I maintain that the biggest factor in my weight gain is constant hunger. I have been ravenously hungry for years, and I just came to accept it. I would wake up starving, eat breakfast immediately, and start planning lunch. Would have to force myself to wait as long as possible to eat lunch, and would normally cave by 11am. Then be eating snacks all afternoon. Then a huge dinner - eating portion sizes as if I hadn’t eaten anything the entire day, because that’s how it felt.

I would get so discouraged when I would hear people say things like, “Just eat when you’re hungry!” But I’m ALWAYS hungry. “Eat intuitively.” My intuition makes me eat all day.

Earlier this year I finally sought professional help with my weight loss journey, and after going through a 6 month program with them and only losing 8 lbs, my doctor sat me down and asked if I was interested in taking Metformin. At first, I was really scared, because I thought she was telling me I had Diabetes, but she told me I didn’t. But she did seem to think that there was a chemical imbalance causing my hunger, and metformin might help. I started the pills a week ago, and today, I felt…different.

I woke up for the first time in years not thinking about what I was going to eat for breakfast. In fact, I wasn’t concerned with breakfast at all until about 8am. I had a couple of eggs, was satisfied (never remember feeling that before) and went on with my morning. Didn’t even think about eating again until 1:00, when I ate my lunch, and didn’t finish it all. I had an actual normal, portion size, and again, felt satisfied, and put the rest away. Again, I didn’t even think about food until after I got home from work. I made my family dinner, and for the first time EVER, I didn’t return for seconds.

I didn’t consciously TRY to do any of these decisions, they just happened. It’s like the hunger demon that has possessed my body went on vacation. I was able to focus on non-food related activities the entire day, which up until now seemed nearly impossible for me.

I know I still have to put in the work of increasing activity and making healthy food choices, but for the first time in my adult life I feel like I actually have a chance at controlling my weight.

Hoping to hear other people’s metformin experiences; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

submitted by /u/CCAnalyst89
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/DHq4beF

No comments:

Post a Comment