Friday, December 2, 2022

The Whoosh Effect is apparently untrue. But does anyone else experience it anyway? ๐Ÿ˜‚

I was reading an article about weight loss last night that rocked my world for a minute. It was one of those cheesy "what to expect when you lose weight" type articles (I know, I need more hobbies lol.) Anyway, one thing in the article really got my attention. It said that you may look worse right before you drop weight. Specifically, it said that you may look saggier and squishier right before you drop weight. It said that the reason is because your fat cells fill with water before they die.

This knocked me back because I have noticed several times over the past several months that I felt that exact thing was happening. I was happy with my progress, feeling like I looked better, and then all the sudden for a few days I would be like "how did I get squishier? I haven't gained weight, why do I look so squishy??" And then a couple of days later it would be fine again and I would have lost more weight and I just chalked it up to just having a bad body image day. So when I saw that, I was like "wait, is that an actual thing that happens and has a real explanation other than my own mental health???"

Welp, apparently not. I read up about it some more today and apparently people call it "the Big Whoosh" and science and dietitians assure us that it's not real. Which, I believe. "Fat cells filling up with water and then dying" is not something I had ever heard of before last night. But I also wonder if there could be something to it (although probably not via the explanation offered about water and fat cells) if there are enough people experiencing something like it to give it a name and make it a myth.

So, am I the only one that experiences this, despite the fact that it doesn't exist?

submitted by /u/Overbeingoverit
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/T3qBct6

No comments:

Post a Comment