Monday, July 1, 2024

Diet / Calorie Restriction Sucks

Just wanted to vent a little about my recent weight loss this year as I'm feeling a bit retrospective. I'm a 5 7 guy (32 YO) and I peaked at 174 end of 2023 which, because I'm somewhat muscular really didn't look bad - but I was deff seeing some fair amount of pudge while topless. I've never hit 180 in my life so I knew I needed to address it before it got out of hand and I'm getting older so I do want to lose control of this as I age when it's common to see it happen.

I decided at the start of the year to lose weight with a goal of 150. Well - lo and behold 6 months later I am there - on the dime. I just wanted to say I typically don't diet and I just eat when hungry but try to be mindful of not over eating and basically just satisfy my hunger until it comes again. That has worked for me decently well up until I hit that high of 174 because I was getting fairly sloppy and eating without paying as much attention the last couple years.

Anyways, I just wanted this post to say that dieting SUCKED. I understand more now than ever why people struggle. I had to figure out ways to keep a large deficit to continue losing weight and it really sucked. You feel very tired often, very groggy and annoyed because of that persistent hunger. My trick was really basically just intermittent fasting and when I would start getting that first urge to eat, I would instead to an iced coffee and push the fast longer. Then, with only half the day left, it would be easier to consume reduced calories. That coupled with chicken breast everyday - yogurt - etc - lots of high protein food. I'd limit my carbs because I felt that would translate to less fat burn if I gave my body too many carbs instead.

Doing like 1500 calories for a full day is very little to eat. I guess it varies depending on your body and size - maybe for a 100 LB female it would be tolerable but it was tough for me.

So yeah - it is rough. I feel SO much better being back at maintenance. Daily living is without that constant feeling of tiredness and hunger, I feel satiated throughout the day and energized for my job etc. You may be thinking I went too hard on the diet to feel like crap for several months but I really don't think so as I just managed to reach my goal losing 25 pounds in 5 months and I wouldn't have if I was eating more.

5 pounds a month is looked at as reasonable by most.

So - I feel for you all. Now I will be keeping very careful watch that I maintain and do not creep back up because having to lose weight is torture and not fun at all. It's fun seeing the results finally and the body changes that occur but it takes forever to happen and the day-to-day living of it sucks bad.

submitted by /u/Pessimist001
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/W4V9Xr2

No comments:

Post a Comment