Thursday, July 25, 2024

(115kg-80kg) Was obese my entire life but I fixed it a year ago. Here is my story maybe it can help someone. :)

I'm a 30-year-old male, 183 cm tall, and weighing 80 kg. I was obese my entire life, and when I left my parents' home at 18, I weighed around 125 kg. Although I always engaged in sports and activities like various combat sports (which I still do), handball, diving, and other things, my diet was the problem.

I quickly learned how to cook and managed to lose weight, bringing me down to 115 kg. However, it took me 10 years to truly understand how weight loss works. From my perspective now, weight loss is one of the hardest easy things to do. It's hard to get started, but once you figure out your issues and find ways to deal with them, it's not that difficult.

My problem was binge eating. Even though I could cook healthy meals, I often binged on high-calorie foods like cookies, salami sticks, and soft drinks like apple spritzer. I could easily consume thousands of calories in an hour by eating these high-calorie, processed foods.

A year ago, I decided to stop buying these problematic items because I realized I couldn't eat them in moderation at home. Once I opened a box of cookies (like Pandora's box), I'd eat the entire thing! However, not buying them has been surprisingly easy for me. Instead, I buy healthier snacks like various fruits. Right now, for example, I'm munching on some delicious blueberries as a dessert after dinner.

Calories In, Calories Out (CICO) is the key to weight loss: burn more calories than you consume, and you'll lose body fat. For me, this didn't mean counting or measuring my calories. I do recommend learning about nutrition by reading labels or researching the nutritional value of foods using apps like "Cronometer" (I use the free version, which is quite nice) to understand what foods are healthy.

I generally "eat the rainbow" and a wide variety of vegetables. Whether it's oven-roasted vegetables, salads, stir-fries, or other preparations, veggies are my friends. They fill me up, provide lots of nutrients, taste great, and are low in calories. If you're struggling with hunger and appetite, increasing your vegetable intake can help.

I also eat various whole grains and pseudo-grains like millet, quinoa, spelt, and brown rice. Carbohydrates are not bad in general, especially if you're into sports like calisthenics and MMA, as I am. I need energy, and carbs are the easiest form of energy for the body. However, I recommend choosing healthy carbs with a good glycemic index and whole foods in general, which provide additional nutrients like minerals and fiber.

Legumes, such as chickpeas, lentils, and beans, are also great food choices, rich in nutrients and proteins. While proteins are important, they are sometimes overrated. Most people need around 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight, which is sufficient for 99% of the population. Excessive protein intake has no real benefits and does not significantly increase feelings of fullness. Our bodies can't store protein; they can only store fat and glycogen. The kidneys must work to convert excess protein into energy, which is generally fine for healthy individuals, but it's something to consider.

Combining high-quality carbs, proteins, fats (like olive oil), and vegetables (fiber) leads to the most satisfying meals. Instead of reaching for another protein shake, consider snacking on fruits or vegetables.

Exercise is also essential, and I couldn't have achieved my aesthetic goals without strength training. However, I highly recommend finding something you enjoy. I started at the gym a few years ago and didn't like it. Now, I do calisthenics and love it. MMA has always been a part of my life and is great for building muscle. You don't need to go to the gym if you don't enjoy it; any physical activity is beneficial both physically and psychologically. If you enjoy the gym perfect for sure. :D

Lastly, I never skipped social events or parties during my weight loss journey. It's all about long-term balance. When I indulge in beer or junk food at a birthday party, I simply eat extra healthy the next few days. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

Even during this year of significant weight loss (115 kg to 80 kg), I often felt discouraged because the scale didn't show weight loss for weeks. But consistency works in the end. There are reasons the scale might not tell the truth, like a full digestive system, natural weight fluctuations, or gaining muscle while losing fat. Don't worry about weight fluctuations. For example, four days ago, I weighed 84 kg; today, I'm back at 80 kg. Natural weight fluctuations can occur due to diet and activity levels. A high-calorie, high-carb day can fill up your glycogen stores, which also retain water. Once you burn through these glycogen stores, you release the water and lose the weight again. This fluctuation is not related to body fat.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask—I'm happy to help. Otherwise, best wishes and good luck finding your strategies, addressing your challenges, and staying on track for your journey! :)

By the way, I'm German, and I wrote this text myself but asked ChatGPT 4.0 to check it for grammar and spelling errors, haha. So if you're wondering why my grammar and spelling are so perfect, it wasn't before. :D

submitted by /u/AtillaDerHund
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/GwEsv9f

No comments:

Post a Comment