Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Temporarily using the IF method has worsened my relationship with food.

I have a feeling this might become a “true off my chest” moment, and I’m preparing for the downvotes. I just have to get it out.

First off, I believe in r/CICO. 100%. It works (of course there is a caveat for medical conditions). For me, I don’t believe in fad diets, completely eliminating food groups, extreme calorie restriction, extreme calorie burning through exercise that I “eat back” later, or any of the other little “tricks” that make me fall into dangerous habits.

I’m not sure if anyone else here struggles with trying out different methods for their weight loss, but I do. I can’t (or don’t, whatever) stick with one method for more than 4-6 months at a time. I have a history of disordered eating. I have ADHD. I get bored, stressed, burnt out, whatever you want to call it. Some will say I lack discipline. Maybe I do. The point is, I need to switch up how I approach my weight loss or I slip back into my old habits.

So, I tried IF (r/intermittentfasting). I had a window where I would skip breakfast and stop eating at 8pm. My kryptonite was late night snacking. I thought it would be great. Just nothing with calories after 8pm, then I couldn’t overindulge if I wasn’t indulging at all. Well, in order to satiate myself I paired this with a small dose of r/volumeeating recipes. Large low calorie meals so I could satisfy my large appetite.

Well, now I’m on some new ADHD medication and I have effectively stopped tracking my calories in a bit of a mental health break. I have to eat breakfast in order to take them in the morning or I get sick. I am trying to tone down the mental food noise by allowing myself to actually listen to my body.

Which brings me to my point. When I have a portion of food in front of me, I no longer feel like I stop when I’m full. My IF days and volume eating has made me feel like I need to finish my food because it’s the “last food” I’ll have for the day. I never really felt like that before. I hate it. And I just feel like I wish I had never restricted myself that way.

If you read this far, thank you for sharing in this frustration with me. I know it’s me, not the method. It works for many people. I’m just ranting about it because it didn’t work for me. It’s just a different approach to CICO and it made it harder for me in the long run to listen to my internal food triggers.

Anyway, once I get my meds figured out I’ll be back on the horse, so to speak.

Shoutout to my fellow neurodiverse people.

submitted by /u/ObserveMyAudacity
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/WoMLx8F

No comments:

Post a Comment