Wednesday, June 5, 2019

BMI vs Hip to Waist ratio?

Hi all.

20 / Female / 5’1” / 117 lbs

Hips: 35 in Waist: 30 in

BMI: 22.1

I’m a “skinny fat” person. My teenaged metabolism finally slowed down (cursed day) so recently I’ve been eating healthier and exercising daily for the past month or two.

My BMI is 22.1. I’ve been using that as a measurement of how well the weight loss is going as well as my actual weight (-10 lbs this past month or two woohoooo) but after some internet browsing I’ve come across the “hip to waist ratio”.

My hip to waist ratio is 0.86 which according to the Internet is really unhealthy and is related to all sorts of terrible medical conditions. I read that if you’re female and above 0.8 it’s likely you have excess “visceral fat” aka fat inside your guts (?)

My question is this: what is the best measurement of health/weight loss? BMI? Weight? Hip to waist ratio? Which one should I trust? Just confusing because my BMI is healthy yet I am apparently obese in my abdomen.. if anyone could explain all this in simple terms I would appreciate it.

Does your hip to waist ratio go down as you lose weight? I ask this because I only have 10 more pounds to lose. My hips and waist carry SOME weight (chub I can squish) but kind of just seems like muscle/bone/body mostly. Are some people born (not born but you get it) a .07, some people a 0.8? Or does it fluctuate with weight loss, even a weight loss as small as 10 lbs?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/summerdepressi0n
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2XsYtoD

No comments:

Post a Comment