Tuesday, June 4, 2019

How to deal with friends who are also "dieting."

Hi all!

A friend and I decided we wanted to lose a bit of weight. I had previously lost about 20lbs doing CICO and then gained most of it back during a stressful life transition. When my friend asked me how I originally lost weight, I told her the very simple truth: I ate fewer calories than I burned.

Here's the thing: we have another friend who eats based on macros and his argument was that you should try to hit a certain level of macros each day and not care as much about calories. He also does a lot of exercise.

First question: When do macros come into play? Is it just if you're trying to build muscle? Reading this sub, I always thought CICO was for weight loss and that the macros of it didn't matter in terms of results (though obviously we all need protein and other nutrients).

Regardless, she tried CICO for a month and didn't see any results. The things is, she didn't use a food scale and she is also tiny to begin with, so I think it'd be nearly impossible for her to lose weight quickly. Cutting 500 calories a day, for example, would put her below her BMI.

Now, she is trying a diet and has seen results. I'm thinking it is either a whoosh since she started working out about 6 weeks ago or she is now actually eating 1200 calories a day.

Second question: Is there any scientific backing to diets like keto, awaken, atkins, low-carb, no-carb, low-sugar, low-fat, high-fat, etc? Or are they all just methods for CICO? For example, the diet she is on doesn't let her eat things with tons of sugar. This means things like berries and tomatoes are not allowed on the diet. That seems odd to me.

And my third question: How do you handle incorrect information when your friends share it with you?

submitted by /u/GlitteringExit
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WcnSBF

No comments:

Post a Comment