Tuesday, June 25, 2019

My story - 50 lbs lost and kept off - F32

I found this forum recently and wanted to share my experience with weight loss, in the hope that this can help someone who is struggling.

I was a chubby child, growing up in a household where eating large portions were the norm. My parents struggled with their weight as well, and my dad was always on some kind of diet. As a teen, my weight went up and down. I went through a period in my mid-teens where I was active with sports and dance classes, which helped lose some weight. When I moved away for university at 18 and became responsible for my own cooking, I had no idea how to eat healthy or even what a normal portion was. I often went out clubbing on the weekends, consuming my fair share of alcohol and junk food. As a result, I gained about 20 lbs during the course of my degree.

After graduating I found a soul-sucking office job, unrelated to my field of study. I became very depressed. I was living in an area where participating in sports or being outdoorsy wasn't really common. I also moved in with my husband around this time, and I took up the habit of eating the same portions as he did. After a couple of years, the combination of sedentary office job, large portions and eating out of boredom/depression resulted in another 20 lb gained.

In 2012 my dad was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and was given a list of foods to avoid. He completely changed his way of eating, and now sticks to vegetables, some fruit (limited because of the sugar), lean protein and healthy carbs like brown rice. My mother started eating the same way as my dad, and they both lost of lot of weight. Both are now slimmer and in better shape than they have been since they were 25. The doctor warned my dad that a propensity for developing Diabetes 2 runs in our family, so I changed my eating habits as well. I started with small changes, like cutting down on my dinner portions, limiting snacking outside meal times, and eating more fruit and vegetables. After about a year of eating this way, I had lost some weight, and decided to cut down on both sugar and alcohol. This resulted in further weight loss. My habits can be summarised as follows:

At least 5 portions of fruit and veg per day. 1 portion is 80 grams. 3 of those portions should be from vegetables. One of those portions can also come from legumes like lentils and beans.

Track my calories. I use My Net Diary as a phone app. It feels like second nature after using it for 7 years. It's just something I do, like brushing my teeth.

Eat almost at maintenance so that my daily calorie deficit is small. My deficit is not typically more than 200 or 300 calories, and as a result of that I don't feel hungry or deprived.

Enjoy treats moderately. I don't eat a lot of refined sugar, so if I have chocolate I stick to a small bar of 200-250 calories.

Exercise 4-5 times a week. I moved to a new city four years ago where there are so many opportunities for sports and outdoor activities. I now do rock climbing, swimming, Pilates, running and cycling. I have done several half marathons and triathlons, and planning more in the future.

I rarely drink alcohol. I used to drink alcohol twice a week, now it's more like twice a month. When I do drink, I tend to have a couple of Gin & Tonics (with Slimline tonic) or red wine. When I go out with friends I make sure I also drink plenty of water and non-alcohol drinks so I don't go overboard. Diet Coke and cranberry juice are nice alternatives to alcohol. Since I don't drink much now I am never hungover, I never feel the urge to grab a burger or kebab after a night out, and I generally feel well. I've not had any symptoms of anxiety or depression for years now, and a lot of that is due to not drinking much.

Avoid the black and white thinking. It's not the end of the world if I go over my calorie limit, it just means I should eat a bit less the next day. It doesn't mean that I am a failure or worthless. Food is fuel, plain and simple.

I don't restrict myself too much. I treat myself to pizza a couple of times a month, and I don't count calories when eating in a restaurant. Most of the time I eat home-cooked meals, so I don't stress about it when I indulge in a takeaway or restarant meal.

I generally cook from scratch rather than buying ready-made things. I make sauces and soups from scratch, which is both healthier and tastier than the shop-bought alternatives.

My husband has always been slim. We often exercise together and eat the same meals, but he eats larger portions than me because he doesn't need to lose weight. Eating healthy doesn't have to put a strain on your relationship.

Before and after pictures here: https://i.redd.it/ba3oj2kawc631.jpg

The best advice I can give is to be patient and consistent. My weight loss took several years because I took my time to build up healthy, sustainable habits. The last couple of years I have focused on body recomposition, trying to gain more muscle. I eat at maintenance now and don't obsess over the number on the scale. I pay more attention to my body fat percentage as this is a more reliable indicator of weight loss . You can get an electronic scale that measures the percentage - I can't recommend this enough, particularly for those who are struggling with a plateau.

Please feel free to ask me questions.

submitted by /u/LCBird86
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2JbOqi6

No comments:

Post a Comment