Monday, June 24, 2019

One year change and a few personal revelations

Let's begin with a quick comparison picture between June 2018 and June 2019:

https://imgur.com/XN7uF8k

I have lost 37kg (81 pounds) to this date and started at 125 kg (275 pounds), standing at 172cm (5'7''). The comparison picture shows a difference of around 28kg (62 pounds).

Revelation 1: Having a healthy social circle keeps you happier and moving.

Well, this all started out with my 25th birthday. A quarter of a century had passed and I was obviously overweight and not really happy with myself. Still a funny, loving guy, if you believe the people around me (I didn't at the time), but things had to change. As a friend of mine was celebrating his birthday at the same time, I got introduced to a whole bunch of people, which now mean a lot to me. Having good friends and being active with them, definitely uplifted my mood and gave me positive things to look forward to. I found myself less passive, outgoing and physical.

Revelation 2: Getting compliments from good-looking individuals* breeds a sense of narcissism. Which can be useful, believe me!!

\especially of the gender you are interested in)

For some reason, these people really enjoyed the company of mine and even gave me compliments. Althought it was undeniable, that I was an entertaining addition to the group, I just couldn't believe it. I still make jokes to this day, that my parents are paying a group of actors to pose as friends. Funnily, these compliments (especially towards my voice and supposedly loving eyes) really changed something in me. The energy I was taking out of this lasted for months and motivated me to start working on myself and thus my weight loss began.

Revelation 3: Weird sports can be fun. Sticking with said sport, will make you even better in that sport.

I was repeatedly invited to join the newly founded Jugger-team of the town. It looked silly, somewhat dangerous and obviously required lots of running. 'Nothing for me', I thought. After weeks I finally gave in, became quite good, participated in several competitions and became the arguably best player in our team. Who would have thought? Not me, obviously. Now newer players, some of them overweight, were struggling with the physical requirement and were thankful for me being so understanding, as they didn't even know, where I started back in 2018.

Revelation 4: Scales are important. Religiously weighting food is not.

This seems to go quite against the mindset of many. For me, the bodyscale was extremely important and interesting and I used it daily. I didn't notice my body becoming smaller (body dismorphia is a thing) and nobody else noticed until I lost 12kg (26 pounds). I didn't even feel better, but the bodyscale didn't lie. However I have rarely weighted my food (only exception: meats). I mostly tracked a rough estimate of my daily food intake as I was aiming for a nice deficit anyways. In 2018, I lost 32kg (70 pounds) in 36 weeks this way.

Relation 5: Don't panic on the scale. The body is a complex machine.

What you take in and what it comprises, can change your body weight immensly. That's not necessarily fat! Be on the lookout for the fabled whoosh, take mental note of bumps and the reasons for it. Salty foods? Drank lots of water to fight unnecessary appetite? Carbohydrates needing more water to be digested? There was definitely something. I found it quite interesting to see my body at work!

Revelation 6: Being good-/better-looking makes things so much easier.

As you can probably imagine, the weight and body image does hinder your relationships. Obviously, this is also a confidence thing. But it's way more enjoyable to see a better-looking person being silly or overly self-confident and it definitely showed for me over the months. Interestingly, the girl I am currently dating, admits, that she didn't even 'notice' me the first few months. She later realised, that she was increasingly happy to see me and is quoted, that I was looking better everytime we met in social settings, until she finally made the first move. That does sound harsh - she knows - but at least it's honest.

Revelation 7: Losing weight is not going to suddenly improve your whole life. but it will make it more enjoyable.

Meeting up with people, being mobile, going to the beach, cracking jokes and even stupid stuff like eating in public were all some kinds of problematic. That hasn't changed by me losing about 30% of my former self (still: whooO!!), but by my attitude towards the world. Try to stick with your goals and happiness will follow. I wish you the best on your journey, as I haven't even finished mine.

TL/DR: Was fat. Now not as fat. Life not perfect, but way better for reasons. Thank you r/loseit, you rock.

submitted by /u/bolton54
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WXGuWh

No comments:

Post a Comment