Thursday, June 13, 2019

Some things I have learned following #100 loss

I wanted to share a few things that are very important (at least to me), regarding weight loss after hitting the #100 loss point this morning:

  • There are no shortcuts. One does have to "embrace the suck" of not being able to eat anything they want, anytime they want, in order to build mental toughness. Developing mental toughness and strict discipline with regards to eating seems to be largely ignored -- likely because it's very real and can be very difficult at first.
  • Those searching for shortcuts (e.g. fad diets) will ultimately remain overweight.
  • Cravings for unhealthy foods do indeed diminish over time.
  • The mortal sin of gluttony is very real. It takes real effort to avoid this sin (see above.) The more fortunate begin building temperance towards this sin (3 squares, no snacking, etc.) at a very early age.
  • I make it a point not to bring garbage foods into my house.
  • I prepare 90%+ of my own meals now. I make time to do so -- it's that important. There's something about spending 15-20 minutes crafting a large salad or making sushi (Youtube is an unreal resource) for dinner that I find very important.
  • If I am going to go out for dinner, I eat a large 100% veg salad with red wine vinegar before I leave the house. The salad takes up space and it provides roughage.
  • Since March 1, 2019 when I began I have tested myself with what I believed are "problem/trigger" foods for me. I have concluded that some are and some are not.
  • I 100% reject problem/trigger foods now. I view them as addictive/toxic -- along the lines of tobacco/alcohol/drugs. I will never be one of those that dreams of their "cheat days" when thy can partake of such foods. Life's too short, and there's too much other great food out there to be obsessed with Nacho Cheese Doritos, donuts and the like.
  • I didn't weigh myself at all for most of my journey. I laid out three sets of dress shirts/slacks in differing sizes. When I barely began fitting into the smallest/goal sized shirt/slacks, I began weighing myself.
  • Exercise is uber important in weight loss and weight maintenance.
  • I have been to a few parties during my weight loss period. It's more about what I ate/drank rather than how much I ate/drank that determined if I felt good or like I was run over by a truck the following morning.

Good luck to all. Now I begin an even tougher challenge. The maintenance phase...

submitted by /u/MatteoAttenborough
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2KMGuWU

No comments:

Post a Comment