Saturday, June 1, 2019

Sometimes you've got to take a step back

So, yesterday, I had an absolute mare. I went to the gym, was feeling pretty good about myself, and then came the dreaded trip to the supermarket where I loaded myself up with so much junk food I felt like the checkout machine itself was judging me. I was binging in my room, watching TV, stuffing my face full of so much sugar and carbs I honestly don't know how I'm still alive, and then my flatmate bangs on my door.

Now, normally, once I've binged or failed a weight loss target, I'm out for the day. I feel like I've wasted time and I don't even want anyone to see me and my hideously bloated stomach. However, I decided to go out to the bar anyway. After all, what's the point in developing self-confidence if you can't practice it while you feel ugly and bloated as all hell?

Luckily (and I don't fool myself here), while we were at the bar, a girl who's a friend of a friend who I've known a while decides to start talking to me and eventually she asks me out. Now, while the cocktail of nerves and sheer unadulterated terror was fantastic, another thought preoccupied me.

If I hadn't taken a step back and decided that, even though I'd derailed my progress for one day, I didn't need to let that binge dictate my life and take my progress off-track, I wouldn't have gone to the bar, met the girl, and gotten a date.

I don't expect this post to solve world hunger or any huge issue, I'd just like to express my discovery that sometimes the weight loss (and obsession with failing at it) can be more of an obstacle than it should be. Sometimes accepting that you've made a mistake and that it can be rectified later lets you live your life, and stops you from cutting yourself off from what is to come.

submitted by /u/throwaway13670239867
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HPguIi

No comments:

Post a Comment