Friday, June 7, 2019

The Weight was easier to lose than the emotional baggage

I am at the lowest weight in my life, since Richard Nixon was president. Right now I am about 158 pounds, down from a high of 400 pounds. People think i am some kind of weight loss guru and I am not. I can tell you what has worked for me, but it will not necessarily work for everyone, because there is not a one size fits all method to losing weight.

What did work for me is changing my attitude. I have been fat since I was twelve and I am sixty now.

My whole life I heard about what a great life I would have if only i lost weight.

"You would have such a great figure.

"you would have to beat the boys off with a stick."

I was promised a world of rainbows and sunshine, but the reality was I was a miserable fat person and when I lost weight I was a miserable and unhappy, except i weighed less. I finally figured out why, because all those admonitions about losing weight had a subtle, but very clear message, "We will not love you if you are fat."

As a morbidly obese person, I was bullied so much I went around with my hand poised to make a rude gesture when (not if) someone said something rude to me, like, "She her, she gave my dog VD." I was refused service at resturants and denied employment. I had a temporary job once and when I got there, the client took one look at me and canceled my job.

The worst thing that happened is having two ladies from my church come up to me one Sunday and utter the words I dreaded most, "Can we talk to you?" they talked to me about my weight and how I should do something and they wanted to help. I didn't expect them to do anything and when I asked for help they told me they were too busy.

For me what they were telling me, they wanted me to get lost.

I didn't leave then, but it made going to church agonizing. I could no longer sit in church and listen to the sermon.

But i did lose weight, eventually, but compared with letting go of the hurt, losing the weight was easy.

I was walking up the stairs the other day and I remember how hard it was when I weighed four hundred pounds.

What worked for me, was recognizing that losing weight to be socially acceptable was futile. Being diagnosed with diabetes actually turned out to be a good thing for me, because I changed my focus to improving my health and it made all the difference in the world.

I did start going back to church after being absent for several years. But not the one where I was asked to leave. I love my new church, but it's sad for me to think that as a morbidly obese person, the body of Christ failed me. And I don't know if I can ever get over that.

submitted by /u/BBFan1958
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2ZhtWeb

No comments:

Post a Comment