Friday, June 14, 2019

Weird thoughts post-weight loss

Now that I've gotten healthy (-55 lbs + added muscle) I feel good about myself/health/looks. I got fat in college and unfat after. Maybe this is all just a part of transitioning, but there's some new thoughts I can't shake (ordered by personal importance):

  1. Old pictures of myself gross me out and make me feel really bad.
  2. I get weirded out when people say "you're looking thin."
  3. I'm not interested in answering people's questions about how I did it, because I doubt they're going to understand (2 yrs of nightly fasted hill runs on weed lol).
  4. I'm not used to the way my body looks now: my hands, feet, and especially my face in the mirror. It's all improvements, but my body still surprises me.
  5. My soft belly / slight looseish skin annoy me a litlte more than they should.
  6. I like to exercise when I feel anxious or sad, which is sort of emotionally confusing.
  7. A date didn't believe I could have ever been fat until I showed her a picture. This messed with my head a little.

I don't validate myself through how others percieve me, so it's been a very personal journey. I'm delighted and satisfied with the results of my extended efforts, but I think I've acquired some body dysmorphic thoughts post-weight loss. In my head, weight loss is something that I never should have needed. Any time someone compliments me I'm forced to acknowledge past self and feel bad. And now that I'm caring/thinking about myself more, it's hard not to be critical of my past and current self. My past self doesn't exist, so what I think about it isn't very important, but it would be cool if I could get over it and be completely happy with success and people acknowledging my efforts. Really overall I'm doing fine, and these thoughts are more annoying than troubling to me.

submitted by /u/basicallayyy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2XNiUwO

No comments:

Post a Comment