Tuesday, June 11, 2019

“Wellness” challenge at work - rant/ advice?

So I am participating in a so-called “wellness” challenge at my work. All of the participants pay $ to participate and for every full pound they gain. We weigh in weekly and at the end of the 8 week challenge the person who has lost the highest % of their body weight takes home the pot of money.

I have participated in this before and was very competitive in my weight loss. I ended up losing about 20 lbs that challenge and was in first the entire time. On the very final weigh in there were four people who miraculously “lost 10% of their body weight” in the last week and I got pushed out of the top 5 participants after being in first for the entire challenge. This just felt dirty to me because we all know that they probably did not actually lose 10% of their body weight in one week but rather manipulated the amount of water and waste in their bodies by doing things like taking laxatives, diuretics, dry fasting, etc. which isn’t a genuine reflection of the weight they actually lost. To me, taking extreme measures like that isn’t wellness, which was supposedly the intention of the challenge.

So there is another round going right now and I decided to participate again because I liked the accountability of having to get my weight checked every week. Everyone is expecting me to win this time, but since I lost so much the first time around my goals have now changed to getting better on my runs etc. and I also lose weight at a much slower rate than I did when I was overweight. I have still been in first every week for this challenge as well, but the final weigh in is a week from today. One of the girls who passed me on the last challenge is going around to all my work friends to ask them what I am going to do this week to “make sure I win”

Before this I didn’t have any plans to do anything outside of my normal routine. I was actually planning on having a mini cheat day today to have some pad thai I’ve been craving for weeks. But, now I am feeling so much pressure to go to the extreme to stay in first because I will be embarrassed if I get pushed down from first for a second time. I want to not care but I am a competitive person and I am having a hard time letting this go. On the other hand, I have been progressing well in my half marathon training and been making new PRs almost every week on my runs, so shouldn’t I just care more about that?? Idk man

/rant

submitted by /u/koalafyed
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2XHzHRS

No comments:

Post a Comment