Sunday, August 11, 2019

Any chefs or food industry folks have advice on maintaining weight in the face of a food-centric culture?

I could use some advice. I'm a 31yr old guy who's battled weight his entire life. I successfully lost 115 lbs in hs. I very gradually gained and lost weight throughout my 20s, though I'm having trouble optimizing my past techniques for weight loss to my current lifestyle.

Funny enough, since food consumption has been an active consideration of my life since high school, I now work for a well-regarded restaurant group. James Beard stuff. I've got a slew of restaurants and a social life that largely revolves around food culture.

I'm not a cook in the restaurants. Nor do I actually work in the restaurants. But I'm a super competent home cook. I cook 5 nights a week, rarely using ingrediants more processed than tortillas. I'm lucky to go to food-centric events regularly, and the temptation & drinks are often too much to resist.

In the past, I've been a hardcore calorie counter. I came from a family where our food culture allowed me to figure out my calories a lot easier. We ate in many chain restaurants, and my mother cooked in ways that allowed counting easier.

Food, fortunately and unfortunately, is a prominant piece of my life. I've cut out most of the dominant "unhealthy" aspects of my life in attempt to engineer eating habits that could be life-long and not a diet. I'm a carnivore and generally cook dishes that are meat & veg focused. Rarely potatoes or bread. Maybe tortillas once a week. I have gotten better at skipping foods in restaurants that I don't just die for, like french fries. I don't eat sweets unless I or my boyfriend make them ourselves.

I don't want to diet. I want a life-long food habit that is fulfilling and keeps me in good health. It's just a lot harder to count calories both at home and in restaurant environments where you cook instinctively.

Are there other foodies who have conquered a lifestyle like this? I know plenty of folks in my industry who have overcome this challenge. It's easy to be a pudgy guy in this business. And many have hD great weight loss. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to any of them to ask for their advice. So I'm turning to reddit. I'd so appreciate any tips and tricks on how to live a food-centric life without gaining weight.

submitted by /u/danielbearh
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2P7hz4f

No comments:

Post a Comment