Saturday, August 3, 2019

Calcium?!

I’m a couple of weeks into the most recent leg of my weight loss journey and so far so good. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal to log my foods, and hoped that I could use it to keep a rough track or my nutrients as well as my calories.

I broke a femur rollerskating last year, and since femur breaks usually only happen to people in traumatic accidents such as car crashes, I was referred for a bone density scan. Turns out my bone density is fine, though the density in my lumber spine is slightly lower than typical for my age.

I’ve read often that eating at a deficit to lose weight can contribute to loss of bone density, especially in women (I’m an AFAB trans person) so I have been trying to combat that with strength training and extra portions of yoghurt, cheese and milk within my calorie goals.

But is it just me or is MFP SHIT about calcium? Even though it’s one of the trackable micronutrients, very few of the foods I scan have an accurate calcium listing! It’s bugging the crap out of me because I have no idea if I’m eating enough calcium or not. I rarely hit 50% even with a glass of milk and 100g of yoghurt.

1) Does this drive anyone else up the wall? 2) Am I doomed to add new listings myself if I want accurate reads?

And:

3) Can you guys please recommend me any good food-based* calcium sources that AREN’T from dairy? Dairy products tend to be high cal and also I’d like to try lowering my consumption from an environmental point of view since I know dairy farming is disastrous from a global warming POV. Plus eating yoghurt all the time just gets boring y’know?

*(I’m taking supplements too, but the jury’s out on how well calcium is absorbed into the body when it comes in tablet form rather than as a natural part of food. I want to cover all my bases)

submitted by /u/how-many-bois-there
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LYfQvE

No comments:

Post a Comment