Sunday, August 11, 2019

How do you deal with the selfishness of weight loss?

Our weight loss efforts require a certain investment of time, effort, and cost. It's not just a personal sacrifice either -- it also imposes a level of burden and inconvenience onto family, friends, and co-workers.

Things like:

  • having to spend more on healthy food options, on medications or treatments, on exercise services and equipment
  • having to prepare and eat different things than everybody else and/or requiring them to also eat or not eat certain things
  • difficult to eat at certain restaurants or participate in certain events
  • taking extra "me time" to take care of yourself

If you've got great support (or have nobody in your life to care about) then these are non-issues.

Personally, I lost a bunch of weight several years ago despite these issues. But they probably contributed to my failed maintenance (no blame; I'm ultimately responsible for my own failures).

But my weight loss did feel selfish. I did it for me, which is very uncharacteristic because I usually put everybody else far head of myself. After I hit my goal, friends and family seemed happier that I could return to "being normal" again, even though my normal lifestyle means neglecting myself and putting the weight back on.

If/when this second weight loss plan succeeds, I don't think I could/should be "normal" and selfless again. Thankfully, I'm seeing more signs this time that people are okay with this.

submitted by /u/7sins-sloth
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ZSxwff

No comments:

Post a Comment