Friday, August 9, 2019

NSV: Won office fitness contest

A few years ago, I lost a bunch of weight, neglected maintenance, and gained it all back.

This second weight loss effort was inspired in June, when co-workers decided to start a company fitness challenge. The rules were weird, the math was wrong, the oversight was lacking, and the prizes were dumb. But I joined anyways, because it's past time that I lost a few [dozen] pounds.

Well out of the ~16 participants, half quit early and half quit late. So after 8 weeks, only 4 of us made it to the finish line.

Thanks to hard work, I lost 34 pounds (4 per week!) and tied for winning the whole thing. I was #2 for individual results, #1 for team results, and was voted as the 'most supportive team member'.

I don't want to sound like a drama queen by saying that it was so hard to lose all that weight. But I don't want to sound aloof by saying that it was so easy. The truth is, it was hard work that felt easy. It was pretty much CICO:

  • As a big fat fellow with a lightly active lifestyle, my TDEE is about 3200 calories per day.
  • On most days, I ate 1600 calories and walked off 400, for a total of 1200. 2000 below my TDEE.
  • If a pound of fat is 3500 calories, then that 2000 calorie deficit means losing 0.57 pounds per day.
  • Multiply that by 56 days (eight weeks) and mathematically, I should have lost 32 pounds.

...so the 34 that I actually lost is very close to that. I count calories conservatively, so that might explain why I did a bit better than 32. Or maybe that was water weight.

submitted by /u/7sins-sloth
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2yRGkWQ

No comments:

Post a Comment