Friday, August 9, 2019

Overcoming a powerful rationalization

Hey All,

As someone who can't diet too restrictively, I've been utilizing the the calorie counting method (via MFP) for some time. While I've found this to be by far the most effective method of weight loss, I've also found that most of my relapse events are related to a powerful series of false rationalizations surrounding the practice of calorie counting. Even more disturbing, I've seen this rationalization reinforced here and in other places.

I think it's easy for the addicted brain (sugary food is like crack to me) to cast calorie counting in a negative light. Perhaps this is because most people around me don't calorie count, so the behavior feels strange on the surface. In the throes of an urge, it's easy to follow my thoughts down a dark path that ends with a 3000 calorie binge. These thoughts sound like:

  • I can't really calorie count forever, can I?
  • This is obsessive behavior, furiously scribbling down everything I eat.
  • Why can't I be free? No one else around me worries about food this much.
  • I'm not really that overweight. Do I really need to lose more?
  • What if this makes me anorexic? What if I get too skinny and can't stop?
  • Can I really return to normal eating habits after I hit my goal weight?
  • Is my goal weight even realistic?

I suppose I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with these sort of thoughts/rationalizations, and what sort of techniques you use to overcome them. Realistically, I can answer each of the rationalizations (for example: "This is obsessive behavior, furiously scribbling down everything I eat." "Well, it's not exactly healthy or normal to eat 5,000 calories a day either...")

I find myself in constant fear that calorie counting will in and of itself result in a new set of issues. I believe intellectually that it is the best method - creating and monitoring a simple calorie deficit. However, I don't feel armed with enough information to shut down the animal part of my brain that wants me to eat everything, and will say anything to convince me to do so. Has anyone else successfully powered through this fear?

submitted by /u/aggressivemute
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33kVcuV

No comments:

Post a Comment