Thursday, August 15, 2019

The more posts I read on this sub the more I realize how different the attitudes on weight are across cultures

It is so interesting when you guys share your stories because different cultures have different attitudes towards weight on what is perfectly fine in one culture as weight and considered healthy is considered fat and ugly in another. It is also interesting to read about some cultures enabling obesity and wow.

Like as an Eastern European I often get surprised by people who didn't know cereal had a lot of sugar and how much sugar certain foods were and I was like what? You were surprised, I knew this since I was a kid. (In a non judgy way).

What is interesting though is that as an EE, I found that my culture shares more similarities towards fatness wtih Asian Countries than with Western ones. Like my weight has fluctuated between 60 kg and 72 kg (height is 158 cm) and was called morbidly obese, the fattest person in my family (being a shame), not being allowed to wear tank tops and shorts by society, but also being laughed at if I wear jeans in the summer and etc. And this affected me. Especially because the biggest insults came when I was at 60 kg. I was 60 kg when I moved to Germany and I used to be able to fit into S and M sizes in shirts (my problem is my ass) and when I used to say to people how fat I was regarding my waitress uniform and how I need an L, people used to look at me like a crazy person and it was so crazy. I let myself go since I started an office job, it's surprising how much you burn as a waitress honestly and gained a lot of weight. I am now at 63 KG and I know for a fact that my culture has affected me in that my goal weight is 50 or even bellow if possible. Because I remember people calling girls who were 170 and weight 57 kg fat.

On the one hand I appreciate that my culture didn't allow me to go into morbid obesity but on the other we also have screwed up and somewhat unhealthy views on weight. Because frankly, I might have been fat at 60 kg, but morbidly obese I was not (if anything I am a pair with arms) and making me feel like I was disgusting and don't deserve to do the things others can do, didn't help. It is also interesting that in Eastern Europe this shit applies to women, while men have this beer belly and that's totes fine.

What are your culture's weird attitude towards weight loss.

submitted by /u/webtheg
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33DtBp9

No comments:

Post a Comment