Wednesday, August 7, 2019

What was the real inspiration for you to start losing weight?

People often attribute the decision to lose weight to some sort of random divine inspiration to improve oneself just for the sake of it, or something along those lines. I've been finding, however, that the real reasons are often deeper, more personal, or more complicated than that. Going against your biology which tells you to store as many calories as possible and making your body starve itself (as far as it thinks, anyway) in order to lose weight doesn't come easy, and it seems like something quite significant has to occur in order for real weight loss inspiration to strike.

For me, my journey started one faithful night at 3 AM when I was at home, fall-over drunk, and feeling severely alone and sorry for myself. I was thinking about all the fun outdoor activities and social activities that I was missing out on by letting myself become so big and immobile over the past several years. This lead me to make the decision to write a lengthy self-shaming post on Facebook about how I was fed up with being overweight and how from then on out, I was going to post my weight every two weeks for all my real life friends and family to see until I reached my goal of losing 97 lbs from 297 lbs to 200 lbs. Making such a public declaration to the people closest to me about me being fat and wanting to not be fat was certainly not a decision that I would have made sober or while in any sort of normal or positive mental state. But the funny thing is that despite my feelings of regret the next morning, I actually went through with it, and it worked. While I haven't quite reached my goal yet, making myself publicly accountable along with all those supporting me through my journey is what finally gave me the inspiration to start winning the mental battle with myself that I had been losing for so long and start shedding those pounds once and for all.

While I obviously don't recommend trying to use alcohol inspire yourself, I find it amusing to this day that one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life was one that I made when I was way too drunk for my own good.

So I'm curious, what was the real inspiration to finally bite the bullet and take control of your weight for others on this sub? Was it a single explosive event, or a slow change in mental state over time? Was it something like a health scare, or perhaps a response to a toxic relationship? Or maybe it really was just a wholesome decision to better yourself for the sake of it? I'm interested to hear peoples' stories.

submitted by /u/FalseTruism
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OFOPyX

No comments:

Post a Comment