Monday, June 14, 2021

How do I flip that switch?

Hey everybody. How's it going? I'm here for the same reason we all are, looking for support on losing weight.

Back in 2017 I had a bad breakup and decided "well I'll show him + everyone else, I'm finally losing weight" and somehow I flipped the switch in my brain and really went at it. It helped that I had a physically demanding job already, but I added in weekend walks, and overhauled my eating. When all was said and done I lost 120 lbs in a little over a year.

But, it slowly started to creep back up. I stopped my daily weigh ins. I had a special occasion with a cheat meal. Then another. I stepped on a scale and I had regained 30 lbs. Crap, wake up call, right? Well, sure. For a couple weeks.

I could keep on listing the excuses and stumbling blocks, but I will cut to the chase. I regained 90 of that 120 (right now, after pandemic gains, probably more of that, but I don't have a functioning scale). Over the last couple years I've gone in fits and starts, losing 10-30 lbs, then giving up and regaining it.

Right now I'm just struggling to flip that switch and get myself going again. I don't have the physical job anymore, I work at a desk, and that has been a huge difference (went from average 15k steps + lots of lifting boxes during a work day, to average 3k steps). I know that adjusting my eating habits will have a greater effect on weight loss than exercise, but I still know I need to get up and moving more than I do. I need to drink more water. I need to not snack from the time I get home from work until the time I go to bed (or buy a dozen cucumbers at a time lol).

I know what I need to do. So why can't I do it? I know a lot of it is wrapped up in mental health struggles. I'm in therapy and I'm on meds. I know the last year+ living in a global pandemic has been beyond anything I'd ever dreamed of living through, so I am giving myself some compassion. But I honestly have no idea how to flip the switch except just to do it.

So, hi. I'm about to go to bed, which means tomorrow will be Day One. Enough waiting for motivation. It's time to just do the thing.

I'm not very active on reddit, but I hope to check back here and there. Cheering you all on. :)

submitted by /u/MichiruSedai
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3voguVr

No comments:

Post a Comment