Friday, November 5, 2021

Wintertime cardio, Treadmill walking on incline vs. rowing machine vs. Stationary bike?... planning ahead for the ice.

Hello, M32, 5'11" SW 214lbs, CW 192lbs, GW 180lbs.

I've taken up running for cardio to help lose weight, and I'm really enjoying my runs. I'm currently running 30-40km/week. Running is keeping me sane, I've noticed that it really helps with my appetite and my food choices, as I've started thinking in terms of "how far am I going to have to run to burn this food off". My big problem is that I live in a small Canadian town with a pretty shabby snow removal service and winter is coming.

I have a gym membership, Right now I have a 4-day running schedule of "Long-run/Leg day in gym/Upper body day in the gym/Rest day". On my "long-run" day, I do a run between 8-12km. My gym days I usually do a 3-5Km run in the mornings and 1.5 hrs in the gym in the afternoon. On my "rest day" I still try and get in 2 light jogs that are about 3km each. I have access to a treadmill in the basement of my house that I will walk on for a couple of hours a day when the weather outside isn't conducive to running (rain, wind, etc.)

I firmly believe that the calories I'm burning running and the mental benefits of running outside are the keys to my success thus far and I'm scared of what's going to happen when the snow and ice make it unsafe to run outside. I have never been able to jog at any pace on a treadmill, I always, and I mean always hurt my knees when I do, and I don't want to do any more damage to them than I've already done. I have this weird stutter-step in my gait when running that just doesn't mesh with the constant speed of the treadmill.

I am kind of at a loss for what I should do when the snow hits, I don't want to lose my favorite exercise and my favorite motivation (I'm getting addicted to the little medals Strava gives you). I do somewhat enjoy power walking on the treadmill while watching television, according to the treadmill stats I burn ~800 cal in a 75min session (10 min warm-up, 50 min full speedwalk, 15 min cooldown). I have also considered the rowing machine and stationary bike at the gym. The bike has the advantage that I could watch something on my tablet while I go, but I think rowing might be the best bang for my buck calorie burn-wise. I'm also concerned that if I go with the bike route that I won't actually go hard the whole time, because of the fact that you're sitting down and it's easy to just half-ass pedal while you're on it.

I would just like to ask the people who are/have been in a similar situation to me what solution they have tried for this problem.

What has worked for you?

Should I try and maybe rotate all three?

I'm also tempted to abandon cardio and weight loss completely for when it's icy out and just try to figure out my new maintenance, eat at that, attempt to lift bigger, and try to accomplish some body recomposition over the winter. I really don't know what I should do.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I wanted to put enough information and I woke up early today having a minor freak out thinking about it. I know that weight loss is mostly what you eat, but I know me, and without some tangible fitness goals and targets attached, I'm going to get bored and give up. I'm terrified of waking up sometime in Spring and being in worse shape than when I started this all because of ice and snow. Maybe I just need to have some type of a plan for it just to keep my mind from panicking.

submitted by /u/Hank3hellbilly
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3EOJ6MM

No comments:

Post a Comment