Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Losing almost 200 pounds and what I have come to learn

This post was inspired by another post I saw where someone recounted their weight loss journey and what they’ve learned. I wanted to share my story, and what I’ve learned as well over the past year and a half.

I’m 22 years old and male. I always grew up being the “big kid.” From a very young age, I was the tallest and heaviest child in my class. The doctors kept saying I was just a “big boy” - until they randomly decided to voice concern in all the wrong ways, creating a toxic relationships with medical professionals that I still have today. I was bullied, the other boy scouts told me one day I’d be on the Biggest Loser.

Finally, at 21 years old, I decided I’d had enough. Weighing 360+ pounds, I decided that I finally wanted to truly lose weight and that nothing would stand in my way. I started walking daily, implemented some intermittent fasting, ate in a calorie deficit, and cut back on the carbs I was eating in favor of vegetables and lean proteins.

Today, I weigh in at 185 pounds (and I’m 6’2 just for reference) and I’m so proud of myself for losing so much weight. I proved people wrong, and even myself wrong, by achieving this insane goal that I thought would never ever happen. Here’s what I learned after losing almost 200 pounds:

  1. Nobody can want it for me, I have to want it for myself. And it has to come from self-love, not self-hate.

  2. I will never be fully content with my body. Even after losing so much weight, I still struggle with body image issues. If I didn’t have pictures, I wouldn’t even believe I lost all the weight I did.

  3. People look at me differently now. I don’t worry about if I am taking up too much space, or if Im breathing too loud.

  4. I get very cold easily. I have always been hot natured, but now I wear a jacket most days even in the summer!

  5. Getting rid of clothes is a pain, but it’s so rewarding to see how many sizes down I am. And I got to overhaul my wardrobe!

  6. Exercise is important, but 75% of the battle is the food. Take rest days.

  7. Moderation is key. I have a huge sweet tooth and enjoy sweets from time to time. Moderation is the key to sustainability.

  8. What works for one doesn’t work for all. I remind people that when they ask me for advice.

  9. Just keep going, even when it is difficult. Fall down often, get back up again. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

and finally…

  1. Just because someone has lost weight doesn’t mean they’re an expert. Take all advice, even this post, with a grain of salt (of course excluding professionals)

That’s really it. I wanted to share my story and what I have learned! I’m so proud of myself and I have new goals now such as further fat loss and some weight lifting. I’m thankful for this encouraging community. ❤️

submitted by /u/Dancing_Qween
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/LIZf4Yq

No comments:

Post a Comment