Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The secret to my weight loss is crocheting.

Okay, the title is a slight exaggeration. Little click-batey. Sorry about that. I'm not like, crocheting so intensely I burn 500+ calories a day or anything. I'm still doing the CICO, calorie counting, etc etc etc. However.

I live at home with my family, including two brothers who are both over 6'4". Neither of them are overweight, but they still eat a lot. That means there's always a lot of food around. And for someone who's 5'3 and 130 lbs (down from 170) with a GW of 115, all that food poses a problem, and that problem goes by the name of boredom eating.

I have ADHD and I just crave that sweet, sweet stimulation. When I'm away from home I'm totally fine because I'm generally busy and my silly little brain doesn't have time to think about food. But when I'm at home? When I'm just chilling on the couch? The fridge starts calling my name. The pantry starts pleading for me to take a peek inside. So what do I do? I try to find distractions. I've tried a lot of them: going for walks, reading, surfing the web, playing Minecraft, playing Skyrim. But hands-down the most effective method of distraction I've encountered thus far involves some yarn and a little hook needle thing.

That's right: crocheting has literally been my lifeline throughout this arduous, painful, self-punishing process. It's addictive. I can crochet for hours without thinking about anything else. My surroundings, my worries, my cravings all vanish completely. It does something for my lizard-goblin brain, I don't know exactly what. Scratches some primeval itch. It's something about the repetitive motions, the counting - it's soothing, almost ritualistic. Cannot recommend it enough. I've made sweaters, hats, balaclavas, gloves, leg-warmers, gifts for babies, gifts for my cats. I'm a fiend. Supplies isn't too expensive, either. I mean, if you opt for the nice yarn, yeah, you're gonna spend a pretty penny, but you can buy the stuff in bulk at Michael's for like, what, 3-4 dollars? And that's for a big ball of yarn, too.

So. Please. Men, women, everyone, regardless of your age, your gender, your background, your interests: give crochet a try. It's awesome. And if you want any tips for getting started, HMU.

TL;DR: Crocheting is the most effective method I've found to prevent myself from obsessing over food.

submitted by /u/sexquestionacct42069
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/j2ZhE6Q

No comments:

Post a Comment