Sunday, February 5, 2023

How do antibiotics and medically prescribed steroids affect weight?

I have been losing weight slowly over the past couple of months. It has been slow and steady progress and I'm proud of it so far. However, about a week and a half ago I was prescribed antibiotics and steroids for an ear infection.

I was only on the medication for a week, but pretty much all of last week I was constantly hitting new lows on the scale everyday! I was so happy because it all fell off so fast and I attributed it to a small change to my diet that I recently made and not thinking about the medication.

I was hoping to reach my 50lb milestone this weekend at the rate I was losing weight. However, on Friday I woke up and the weight loss was very small. I just shrugged it off because every day you can have highs and lows (and strangely enough, I find that I lose a lot of weight after a couple days of gaining weight). However on Saturday I gained half a pound. And this morning I gained 1 and a half pounds! I haven't changed my diet or eaten anything that I believe would have caused this to happen.

Overall I'm still negative to what I was like 2 weeks ago, but I'm starting to realize ther perhaps my sudden weight loss over the past week wasn't because of the change in my diet, but rather the medication I was on and now my body is recuperating what it lost.

I'm assuming the antibiotics killed lots of gut bacteria, which in turned caused me to lose weight (just because we have a ton of bacteria in our gut) but also because without that bacteria I wasn't digesting food as well and not soaking up the nutrients.

I'm hoping the weight gain stops soon, but it's just a mental defeat thinking that I was causing the weight loss when it wasn't me at all. I know that I will eventually hit that 50 lb goal, I was just excited to potentially do it this weekend.

submitted by /u/Magnuscaligo
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8Qpj4Yr

No comments:

Post a Comment