Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Carbs during fat loss -- YES OR NO?

Hey everyone, I'm a 35 year old male. I am morbidly obese and at the beginning of my fat loss journey. I've started going to the gym, and have met with 2 to 3 of each of the following: weight loss doctors, dieticians, nutritionists, and fitness trainers. Unfortunately, the more professionals I speak with about fat loss nutrition, the more contradictions arise. The two dieticians completely disagreed with each other. The two weight loss doctors disagreed with each other. The fitness trainers gave conflicting advice (in regards to diet). Ultimately, the majority of the contradictive opinions are about carbohydrates.

In regards to the fitness trainers (who were both very large, muscular men), one stated that approx. 60% of my calorie intake needs to come from carbs. He explained that the body's cells use carbs to function and that the brain's main energy source is carbs. He stated that on a low carb diet, you begin to see a negative impact on the body's cells and the brain's ability to function properly. The other fitness trainer stated that a low carb diet is vital for fat loss and that he suspects eating too many carbs is how I got obese in the first place.

One weight loss doctor advised I go on the keto diet so that my body would use fat for energy instead of carbs. The second weight loss doctor was adamantly against the keto diet and stated that I need to be on a well-balanced diet which includes a serving of healthy carbs with every single meal.

In doing my own research online, reputable sources also seem to be split on the topic of carbs. Harvard University and Yale both did studies where they studied the effects of the keto diet. One university's study found that keto is not good for you due to it raising blood pressure and cholesterol. The other university's study concluded that the keto diet is good for you and lowered blood pressure.

At this point, I am so confused and overwhelmed with all of the contradictive information in regards to carbs.

In an attempt to gather as much information as I can... can anyone advise me as to which diet is better for fat loss and why -- a low carb diet or a well-balanced diet?

One thing I don't understand at all is that it seems that everyone can agree that weight loss is ultimately about calories in versus calories out. Well in that case, what difference does it make how many carbs I'm eating if calories is what really determines whether or not you'll lose weight?

Lastly, can anyone explain to me why/how there is this much controversy about carb intake, even amongst highly educated professionals? I don't get how there isn't just a clear right answer to this topic.

Thank you so much for your time and bearing with me through this long post.

submitted by /u/Mr_E-007
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/SKG2c60

No comments:

Post a Comment