Monday, January 29, 2024

The Little Things that Motivate Us to Get Fit

I've been a fit person most of my life. I swam competitively for 9 years, which helped me maintain a low body fat percentage. However, whenever I entered college and was freed from the strict regimen of swim team, I allowed myself to scale back my workouts but continued to eat however I wanted. This resulted in me gaining about 15 pounds (which I was okay with because my body fat % was very low before college and I was still technically within a healthy weight range).

But things took a sudden turn last year, and I completely stopped taking care of my body. I gained about 27 pounds in five months. I felt the effects before I fully realized how much weight I had gained; I noticed my endurance was getting worse, I was starting to lag behind my friends when we walked together, and the cadence of my walk was more hindered. I no longer jumped out of bed, I rolled out of bed. My clothes, which were once slightly bigger on me, were suddenly too tight. Even though I saw all these things, I was still holding onto hope that I was still "healthy," despite being 167 lbs and 5'4" (not to mention that I wasn't exercising or eating well).

And then my trigger moment happened when I realized that I could no longer comfortably cross my legs. I didn't even think that I cared about crossing my legs until I realized wasn't able to do it anymore. I didn't realize that weight could affect such a simple thing. So, for the sake of regaining my former fitness and my ability to cross my legs again, I began my weight loss journey by returning to the pool/gym and being more careful with what I eat. I'm proud to say that I've lost 12 lbs so far, my clothes are starting to fit a bit better, and I can cross my legs without feeling extremely uncomfortable.

I have even more compassion now than I did before for those who struggle with their weight, because it really does affect quality of life in all aspects. My question for the comments is: What was that "trigger moment" that motivated you to start your weight loss journey? Best wishes to all of you, wherever you're at in your journey.

submitted by /u/skittle_dish
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/TF0cP3t

No comments:

Post a Comment