Sunday, January 7, 2024

How can I support my mother in losing weight?

Hey guys,

so as the title says, I want to support my mother in her weight loss journey. She’s been trying for a few years and never succeeded. She’s definitely obese but still able to keep up with her daily routine which demands traveling two days a week on average. So I guess it’s bad but not too bad. She’s barely breathing while walking, stairs are almost impossible, is pre-diabetic, and has high blood pressure, sleep apnea etc.

I had to move back to her place because of some medical issues I had. It made me realize how different we are in terms of nutrition, eating behavior, and activity level and that she’ll never achieve her goal.

The main observations are:

  • lack of movement
  • portion size
  • eating behavior in terms of when and how often
  • too much alcohol

I know that she thinks it’s all a matter of time. She works a lot of hours and is really emotionally and financially invested in her business. I believe that the issue is the habits she’s developed over the years and she seems to not realize that. Doesn’t matter how often I try to help her (e.g. reminding her to drink water over the day and while eating, asking her to go for a walk together), she just seems to not be able to break her habits. It makes me sad to see her fail again and again. Obviously, because it makes her sad as well.

She just told me that she’ll try to take control over her blood sugar levels with apple cider vinegar. I don’t even know what to tell her at this point anymore because apple cider vinegar isn’t going to work if you’re obese which is the reason for pre diabetes.

I know that on this subreddit are some that might be/have been in a similar situation as my mother or me and I’d love to hear some advice. TIA!

submitted by /u/WinnerApprehensive18
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/LHahyAf

No comments:

Post a Comment