Sunday, June 2, 2019

Help with "skinny" shaming responses... Inspired by a recent post.

I just came across a post on this sub about a user who was being shamed for her weight loss/ health journey, and the majority of responses were spot on about how others don't realize they are projecting their own insecurities when making these comments.

My in-laws are all overweight/obese and have zero interest in physical fitness. They also have an array of never-ending health issues.

Now that I have gone from obese BMI (5'5"-215) down to the high end of overweight (176lbs), and gotten over severe binge eating disorder through CICO, I too am dealing with negative comments from them. Keep in mind, I am still at the high end of overweight and nowhere near "skinny" or underweight. Some of these comments include but are not limited to...

"You're face looks so much better round, now your chin is so pointy"

"You are DEPRIVING yourself" (After choosing to have a few bites of cake, each kind of ice cream, and a huge piece of pizza rather than a massive plate of everything)

"You look too skinny, why are you trying to lose weight?"

.. As well as looks of concern from everyone at the table whispering about me not eating while they shove cake and three kinds of ice cream into their mouths.

I understand WHY people make these comments, and that it has more to do with them than me, but I still let these comments annoy me for days after the fact because I don't know how to stand up for myself and my health. As someone who has a history of ED, it's very triggering to have people suggest that I have one again now that I am eating all my favorite foods and exercising while still losing weight.

What are some come backs to these inappropriate comments that will shut down the conversation without having to get defensive about my healthy lifestyle change or offend them?

submitted by /u/PineapplePowerLifter
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/bw0sei/help_with_skinny_shaming_responses_inspired_by_a/

No comments:

Post a Comment