Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Doin' it wrong - need advice - painfully slow weight loss - help!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I'm sorry to arrive already asking for stuff and writing a long boring rant, but I guess I need some outer perspective.

After some pretty important personal and professional changes I've decided that this year would be the year where I would feel like myself again, and myself is 10kg lighter. I live in Paris, have a desk job but also a consistent Yoga practice for the past 3 years. I view my diet as healthy though I am sure some may disagree since I am not really into banishing food groups or anything more "radical". I can moderate, and this is what works for me.

I eat balanced and the only no-gos are heavily processed food. I am very privileged to be able to afford a healthy diet and in France there is really no shortage of excellent produce. I eat mostly vegetarian, cook 80% of my meals, do not drink sugary drinks and rarely drink alcohol. I love fresh fruit and vegetables, plain yogurt, a good salad. I like a good slice of sourdough bread but can certainly live without it (and most days, do).

In April I decided to review my habits and started counting calories - and discovered my portion control when it came to starchs and grains was misleading. In May I decided to really go for the weight loss journey and started logging food, keeping my food intake to 1.800 calories, and exercising 6 times a week (instead of previous 2). I included Weight/Resistance training twice a week, Cardio Pilates twice a week, and kept my Yoga sessions at twice a week (Yoga sessions vary from 90 to 120 minutes). I have a flexible schedule and I feel really privileged at this time in my life to be able to do this much. My goal was to change my lifestyle and not necessarily lose weight super fast, I wanted it to be sustainable and permanent.

After the first month, I was feeling much stronger and healthy, but the scale did not change one bit. I decided by the beginning of June to buy one of those body fat scales, to at least get motivated by other stuff, and have been weighing myself daily, every morning. I also decided to decrease my diet to 1.600 calories a day, and have been maintaining this intake for the last two months, while also training consistently 6 times a week.

By early July I was still seeing not a great deal of progress, in two months of spartan dedication I'd lost like 2kg. I went to the doctor because I also have thyroid issue (Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and wanted to check if that could be having an impact. We made tests and the doctor decided to increase my dosage of Levothyroxine, since my TSH levels were high. Ok, I thought, maybe that was it. I kept my low-cal-ish diet and exercice regimen, and here we are, at the end of July and I actually gained some weight. I am at my wit's end. I am literally feeling hungry all the time, even though I guess 1.600 calories per day is not even super drastic.

Have you any thoughts? Am I overdoing it? Underdoing it? After reading so much contradictory info on the web, I was confident a calory deficit was the only sure thing - but I guess... it isn't?

Sorry for the super long story, and thanks to the kind souls that read until the end!

submitted by /u/luetlalune
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KkeWGv

No comments:

Post a Comment