Wednesday, July 31, 2019

How to avoid “the snowball effect”

Hey there! I am generally doing well with my weight loss progress, and finally hit the 20 pound loss that, on my frame, is the magic number when people start to mention they can tell and ask me for advice. So my motivation is at a high right now!

There’s still one speed bump that I always fall victim to, and it’s been the bane of my existence for my entire adult life. If I am on a roll, and I “mess up,” I mess up a lot. It’s a huge snowball effect where one morning Coke will lead to a morning bag of chips, then an afternoon Arby’s, and...heck...since I’ve already screwed up so bad today, I might as well order pizza for dinner and cancel that run at the park I was going to take. There was no way I could run it off anyway.

The good news is, when I have bad days, I always get back on track in the morning. It could be a month or two before I have a bad day again. What Id like to do, however, is have that morning Coke every once in awhile and not feel like I’ve “ruined” the day. I always tell myself I can log the calories and make up for it elsewhere, or run an extra mile, but I never do. I always let that little cheat turn into a day’s worth of gluttony and start back up as if it never happened the next day.

Today, for example, I already know I’m having a pizza party at work and a steak dinner with the family at home. Here it is 5:30 am and I’m already thinking “Welp...I’m going to screw up today, might as well grab a breakfast sandwich and a couple of candy bars on the way in. Might as well have all those things I’ve been missing out on....”

On the other hand, I’m also thinking that I’ve not had any major issues with losing weight, and like a real trouper I do consistently jump back on the plan in the morning, so should I keep going the way it is and just enjoy those random days? Years ago I planned them, once a week on Sunday but now that I’m older (40) i can’t seem to get away with it as much as I used to. When I was 20 a cheat day didn’t affect my weight loss speed at all, but now the after effects last a few days before I get back down to my last lowest weigh-in. So that’s definitely frustrating but it hasn’t stopped my progress in its tracks.

submitted by /u/Campaschristmas
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YD583k

No comments:

Post a Comment