Saturday, November 6, 2021

How does ADHD influence diet and weight loss?

I recently got an ADHD diagnosis in my mid 40s. It's something that never occurred to me before but when my therapist mentioned it as a possibility and gave me an assessment I started to realize it explains a lot of things...

One thing I'm curious is if other people in the same boat have found this related to weight and diet. My therapist said the best theory at the moment is that ADHD is a dopamine dysfunction in the brain, and we all know that food (especially salty/fatty/sweet processed foods) give your brain a nice dose of dopamine. On top of that I've realized I definitely struggle with impulse control (buying things I don't need, interrupting and saying inappropriate things without thinking, etc). I also feel like this impacts my diet because the major problem I have is mindless/ impulsive eating where I seem to get distracted and completely forget I'm trying to eat better and just impulsively grabbing things without any thought.

For anyone has gone through this, do you think it's a factor in making weight loss harder? Have you found medication or any particular interventions have helped? I have not talked with anyone about medication yet, psychiatrists are in short order at the moment and I have heart issues that may make stimulants an unsafe choice anyway, but I'm curious what the experience of others may be.

submitted by /u/hO97366e6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3womE9W

No comments:

Post a Comment